Tuesday, August 5, 2008

letter from Christopher Love

Christopher Love was a Presbyterian minister in London, England during the time of the English civil war. He was beheaded on August 22, 1651.
(An excerpt from a letter to his wife, on the morning of his execution)
My most gracious beloved,I am now going from a prison to a palace!I have finished my work. I am now to receive my wages. I am going to heaven! Rejoice in my joy. The joy of the Lord is my strength. O, let it be yours also! Dear wife, farewell! I will call you wife no more! I shall see your face no more! Yet I am not much troubled; for now I am going to meet the Bridegroom, the Lord Jesus Christ, to whom I shall be eternally married!
Your dying, yet most affectionate friend until death,Christopher Love, August 22, 1651, the day of my glorification!

No comments: